Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Yes, there's more...!" (Coffee Art)

I’ve decided to dedicate my next entries to answering questions from the people who have commented. A few weeks ago, I posted an entry about coffee art, and Ovi asked if there were any other things such as coffee sculptures or museums. After a bit of research I found out this video, which I think is pretty cool :)
It’s from the Rocks Aroma Festival held last year in Sydney, Australia:


I mean, I had seen people do this with clothes or random materials like in Art Attack, but never with cups of coffee. Which by the way, had to be carefully prepared in order to get the exact colors they needed. It’s not hard to guess all the thought and hard work that had to be put into this, but I think it was worth it. There’s actually another video, same idea, just that the picture formed is the Mona Lisa. In my opinion, if it is already hard to paint, doing it with coffee cups might be even harder. And also, we should consider how careful they all have to be while setting it up, since one wrong move and everything would be spilled :P (and we wouldn’t want that to happen, right?)

As far as I recall from the videos I watched, Starbucks did once something similar to this to celebrate Earth’s Day, and NESCAFÉ Gold created a sculpture too to celebrate the launch of the new product. You can look those up on YouTube, I’m pretty sure there are even more videos you might find interesting.
I think this form of art is pretty original and different from many other common paintings and sculptures we've seen in museums. Hopefully people will give this the attention and recognition it deserves, supporting and promoting this type of events.

Here are some links, in case you want to see more about this:
* Videos from the Official Website: http://www.therocks.com/sydney-News_Media-Videos.htm

2 comments:

  1. Hi Angela,
    wow it had never crossed my mind that you could reproduce paintings or make sculptures with cups of coffee. It is such an interesting and hard thing to do! As you mentioned above, it really is a peice of art because, besides giving it the form of Marylin Monroe and arranging all the cups in such a precise way, they had to make thousands of cups of coffe with different shades of brown. It is quite impressive.

    I wonder what they did next with the cups of coffee...it would be so cool that after the event all the guests could take their cup of coffee, although it would probably be cold. :P

    Hey maybe there are also artwork pieces made up of the grain of coffee, that would be an interesting thing to look at and also I don't know, maybe there's a day were you celebrate coffee such as Ice Cream Day and things like that? Who knows :)

    Keep up the good work and see you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My God! Really, I have found very interesting this topic and the video was pretty cool (: Maybe I can't drink coffee but I can admire coffee art! I have the same idea as you... this can also be considered as a form of art. With the example that you had posted above(the Rock Aroma Festival's video), it can be seen that the human being has already learned how to use simple and ordinary things like, for example, coffee cups to create huge and amazing masterpieces, something that can be admired by others. When I was in junior high, my Art teacher told us to do the Mona Lisa using coffee beans! Well, not coffee beans exactly… we used a technique in which it was needed to mix Nescafé with water in order to use that as paint. Yeah… that’s a kind of weird, right? Hahah the important thing here is that I was very happy with my “artwork”, maybe I’m not very good drawing women but I did the best I could.

    Well, I need to tell you that I love your blog. Each week you are able to impress to your readers (including myself) with very interesting topics and I think that that’s something very important in a blog (: It’s very awesome the way that you’d turned a very simple topic in something that can catch the attention of a lot of people, that’s something that I can’t achieve yet but I’m doing my best. See you next week!

    ReplyDelete