Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Other options besides drinking coffee...


 Last week, Karen gave me the idea of talking about other methods of staying awake, besides drinking coffee. Instant Gratification ;) I’m still missing some other topics that have been suggested.. I promise they’re still in my list :)
Well, the first method for staying awake that comes to my mind is the use of energy drinks (Red Bull, Boost, Rockstar, Monster, …)  which may be very popular due to its effectiveness, but in my opinion, I rather not take the risk that comes with this. I’ve heard cases in which the consumption of these substances gives the person symptoms like tachycardia. The level of caffeine this drinks contain is more or less the same as a normal cup of coffee, but the addition of substances like taurine (among others) may cause health problems when drinking in excess. Personally, it is my least favorite method.
Another method for staying awake, (I’ve tried it myself, after listening to several people saying it works) is drinking water. Pure water, preferably cold. This one is really one of the best methods because it doesn’t involve the consumption of substances that in excess might cause damage to your body. (Well, water in excess might make you choke or drown in it, but besides that…)  If drinking cool water still doesn’t work, try taking a shower with it.
My third and final recommendation is drinking soda. The sugar it contains is also a good source of energy. I haven’t really tried this one, but I’ve heard it works for some people. Just remember everything in excess is bad for your health, and that maybe, after this temporary energy boost any of these methods might give you, you will return to feeling sleepy and tired.
If none of these methods work… just give up, you need to sleep.






P.S. I still prefer coffee .
lol.


P.S.2. A friend made me realize I missed mentioning chocolate. So I've decided I'll take this one as a topic for my next entry. Coffee vs. Chocolate ..sounds good? Stay tuned for more information next week.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Angela I think I will take the last option of sleeping! Hahaha oh God, this has been such a tiring semester!

    I mean, I have enjoyed it completely but I really really feel very sleepy after eating and after waking up in the morning and nearly at any moment I am in danger of falling asleep. It feels horrible! When I least expect it, I fall asleep! Actually I have some anecdotes with this, but that is a whole different story ;)

    Going back to your topic about tips for not falling asleep besides coffee, it is quite common (at least it happens to me) that I am reading something and no matter how interesting it is I begin to fall asleep. So, a tip to solve that is to read standing up. It may be a little tiring but that is how I managed to solve this issue. Also, if you have the opportunity of washing your face or putting a wet tissue in the back of your neck may be quite helpful.

    Keep up the good work! :D BTW, I love your blog <3 eventhough I just like the smell of coffee. ;)

    ReplyDelete